Jan 10, 2012

Mini apple pies *mmmmm*


On what was supposed to be our last night in Washington last week, my mother-in-law and I made mini apple pies!! YUM! They were so much fun to make! And they are relatively "healthy." (For pies that is.) We used organic sugar, sucanat for brown sugar and coconut oil for butter! And some kind of healthy alternative for the thickner. I can't remember what it was exactly though.

In any case, I'm so lucky to have the best in-laws ever. :) And the best part was eating these on our plane ride home...even if they were a little sticky ;)

Now if only I had the drive to make fabulous treats like these when I all on my own!

love, Lulu

*UPDATE*
Here is the recipe from my wonderful mother-in-law!

*About 6 small apples sliced and then chopped a little smaller
*2 cups of water, 2 tsp cinnamon, squeeze of lemon and 1 cup of organic sugar mixed together
*Add "quick thick," a no-cook thickener.
*Pour over apples and mix!
*Buy a pie crust (or you can make one), roll it out thin and cut into circles that will fit in a cupcake holder
*Place pie crust in cupcake holder and add filling.

Topping:
*Mix equal parts of sugar, oatmeal and butter (melted--or you can do 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil) *Sprinkle on top of apples
*Bake in muffin tins at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make us happy :)