Pages

Feb 27, 2012

We wrote Pixie Dust

Last year Lissie and I wrote a song together about my three kids. I wrote the lyrics and she wrote the music, and she sings the song with that beautiful voice of hers. Anyway, I don't think we've ever posted it on this blog.  I know some of you have heard it before, but for those who haven't, I hope you like it! The first is a pretty professional recording that our brother Christian helped her with. And then at the bottom of the post is the video of the first time she sang it for me over Youtube. Made me cry. Still does. ;)

 
Pixie Dust Lyrics:


I stand back and sigh at the torrent of toys
That keep cluttering our living room floor,
I scoot it aside, plop down in the middle of the mess.
My kids' make believe-play is the background noise.

I flip through the pages of a magazine,
Inside its cover, I see picture perfect things--
Everything put together and pretty.
I imagine myself in one of those scenes.

But he says: “I wanna hold you” as his arms reach up to me
She says my baby girl “is the cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world.”
And I say, “I wanna story book my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me.”

Legs crossed, hand in chin, I look over at them. 
I smile as she mimics me on her fancy phone.
He claps a hand to his ear and answers big sis,
Both unconscious of their flawless beauty.

My baby's dimpled hands crawl to me;
I lift her high, see her bright eyes so happy.
She squeals with laughter as I gobble her chin,
And my life lights up with love, pure love.

Cuz he says, “I wanna hold you,” as his arms reach up to me,
She says my baby girl is the "cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world.”
And I say, “I wanna storybook my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me.”

Fingerprints on the walls,
Crumbs all over the floor,
Laundry pile so tall,
I think I might fall over.
Way too often am I,
Overwhelmed by this life,
Yes, their scribbles have made it
Into these pages.

But oh so soon, I'll ache for little hands,
And I'll miss reading bedtime stories and watching them sleep.
I'll miss the patter of their little steps,
Or the feeling of them tugging on my jeans.

Love how he says, “I wanna hold you,” as his arms reach up to me.
She says my baby girl is the "cutest piece of pixie dust in the whole world.”
And I say, “I wanna storybook my babies' childhoods,
So that someday, it'll all come back to me.”

I want it all to come back to me.

And I'll secretly stash
Some of their pixie dust
And I'll fly myself back,
To when I loved everything.




XOXO, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make us happy :)